On January 27, 1911, the first organizational meeting of Woodlawn Elks Lodge No. 1221 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks was conducted on the third floor of the Woodlawn Trust Building in the city now known as Aliquippa.
A uniquely American fraternal organization, The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks had been established in 1868, arising from a group of 15 New York City entertainers who called themselves the "Jolly Corks," a name derived from a trick in which the loser (more often a "victim") was required to purchase a round of refreshments.
Today, the Aliquippa Elks remains a strong supporter of America's veterans and her flag, dedicated to the four principles of the order: Charity, Justice, Brotherly Love and Fidelity.
Elks Lodges bring so much more to their communities than just a building. They are places where neighbors come together, families share meals, and children grow up.
Elks invest in their communities through programs that help children grow up healthy and drug-free, by undertaking projects that address unmet needs, and by honoring the service and sacrifice of our veterans.
In addition to supporting the Pennsylvania major project, the home service program, the Aliquippa Elks has been a continuing supporter of the Beaver County Womens Shelter for many years.